Have a happy and safe labor day!
10 things you didn’t know about Jimmy:
1. He thinks the most interesting thing about Mr. Truman was his sincerity.
2. His favorite book is Truman, by David McCullough.
3. He is from Key West.
4. His favorite thing about Key West is how everyone is friendly.
5. His favorite president is Harry Truman.
6. His favorite TV show is The Sharks.
7. His favorite actor is Denzel Washington.
8. He enjoys listening to Jazz and Latin music.
9. If he could meet any historical figure it would be Gandhi.
10. If he could go anywhere in the world, he would go to Italy.
An extra fun fact about Jimmy is when he was a young boy, he worked as a paper boy and gave Mr. Truman a newspaper one morning.
10 things you didn’t know about Eric:
1. He thinks the most interesting thing about Mr. Truman was his ‘frankness’.
2. His favorite book is Green Eggs & Ham.
3. He is from Virginia.
4. His favorite thing about Key West is the weather and the people.
5. His favorite president is Harry Truman.
6. His favorite TV show is All in the Family.
7. His favorite actor is Clint Eastwood.
8. He enjoys listening to all kinds of music.
9. If he could meet any historical figure it would be Truman- he grew up liking him.
10. If he could go anywhere in the world, he would go back home to Virginia.
What started as a Naval station soon became the spot where Harry Truman found his winter home. Due to already being on a protected base, it was a no brainer that Truman would be staying in the later named “Truman Annex”. The Little White House was not always the “little white house.” In the 1800s it was home to navy commanders who were stationed here to protect the port and fend off pirates.
Soon the Little White House was divided into a duplex- Quarters A and B. Naval commanders and even Thomas Edison lived in Quarters A for short periods of time. In 1957, the Little White House was restored to a single-dwelling. In 1946 was Harry Trumans first trip to the Little White House which soon became his vacation home with a total of 11 working vacations.
From 1988 to present The Little White House has been recognized as a historic site and is used as a museum to give visitors a inside look into Harry Truman’s life.
Born on August 27, 1908. If still alive today he would be 107 years old!
Presidential Term: 1963-1969
-Johnson passed sweeping antipoverty and civil rights programs. However, he also involved the U.S. in the unpopular Vietnam War. Antiwar protests caused him to drop a reelection bid.
-Johnson was sworn into office on an airplane after the Kennedy assassination.
Truman’s presidency was from April 12, 1945 – January 20, 1953.
– In 1945 he signed the United Nations Charter
– In 1945 he dropped the atomic bomb to end World War II
– In 1947 he created the Truman Doctrine
– In 1947 he created the Marshall Plan
– In 1947 he dedicated Everglades National Park
– In 1948 he recognized the State of Israel
– In 194 he supported the Berlin Airlift
– In 1948 he desegregated the military
– In 1948 he proposed the Fair Deal
– In 1949 he proposed Point Four Program
– In 1949 he created the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
– In 1949 he waged the Korean War
– In 1951 he fired General Douglas MacArthur
Born on August 20, 1833. If still alive today he would be 182 years old!
Presidential Term: 1889-1893
-Harrison was caught between reformers who were fighting the spoils system and those who wanted to continue it, and was defeated after one term.
-Harrison’s grandfather was President William Henry Harrison.
Born on August 19, 1946. He is 69 years old!
Presidential Term: 1993-2001
-Clinton achieved goals such as passage of the NAFTA trade agreement and cuts in the budget deficit. But his popularity was uneven and his second term was marred by scandal.
-When he was 16, Clinton met President Kennedy at the White House. The experience inspired his interest in politics.
10 things you didn’t know about Anne:
1. She thinks the most interesting thing about Mr. Truman was his adaptability, and how he would continue to hold the same views until new information came in that would change it’s validity.
2. Her favorite book is A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving.
3. She is from Pennsylvania.
4. Her favorite thing about Key West is the strong sense of community, and diversity.
5. Her favorite presidents are FDR, LBJ, Truman, Clinton, and Obama.
6. Her favorite TV show is Masterpiece Mystery.
7. Her favorite actor is Robert DeNiro (but her favorite eye candy is Benedict Cumberbatch)
8. She enjoys listening to the blues, big band, broadway, and british rock.
9. If she could be any historical figure, it would be Queen Elizabeth I.
10. If she could go anywhere in the world, she would go to Venice.