What started as a Naval station soon became the spot where Harry Truman found his winter home. Due to already being on a protected base, it was a no brainer that Truman would be staying in the later named “Truman Annex”. The Little White House was not always the “little white house.” In the 1800s it was home to navy commanders who were stationed here to protect the port and fend off pirates.
Soon the Little White House was divided into a duplex- Quarters A and B. Naval commanders and even Thomas Edison lived in Quarters A for short periods of time. In 1957, the Little White House was restored to a single-dwelling. In 1946 was Harry Trumans first trip to the Little White House which soon became his vacation home with a total of 11 working vacations.
From 1988 to present The Little White House has been recognized as a historic site and is used as a museum to give visitors a inside look into Harry Truman’s life.